It’s a good idea to engage an accountant as soon as you decide to launch your business. There is lots to think about with regards to handling your accounts and a good accountant can help you make sure that your payroll systems are set up correctly and that your finances are in order.
Working with a good accountant will do more than just tick boxes. They can:
- Offer business advice
- Assist with payroll
- Keep track of your cash flow
- Keep records and prepare your annual accounts
- Provide tax advice
Choosing an accountant can be a daunting task. In a marketplace that is flooded with firms all offering a similar service, how do you know which one is right for you and your business?
To help you decide who you should work with, we have put together some steps to follow to assist in finding the best accountant for you and your business.
Make a list
Think about what your business needs from an accountant. A great accountant will do more than just balance the books and keep you compliant – what else do you want to get from them?
Ask your family, friends and peers for recommendations. There are also directories available such as ICAEW or Xero’s directory where you can search for a chartered accountant in your area.
Ask Plenty of Questions
Once you have found some accountants that you think you’d like to work with, arrange to have a conversation. Ask them plenty of questions and try to ascertain:
- How you would work together
- How frequently you can meet or talk to them
- What their usual process is for working with clients
- If you will have a main point of contact
- What experience they have in your industry
- What their fee structure is
- How their clients would describe them